Here is our DIY car buying checklist
- Is The V5C Present?
- Is The Seller The Registered Keeper?
- Do All Of The VIN’s, Engine Number and Colour Match The V5C?
- Does The Car Have A Current MOT?
- Check The Service History
- Check Recorded Mileage On Service Records, MOT’s And Other Documents.
- Does It Look Consistent With Current Mileage And Does It Match The Age And Appearance Of The Car?
- Are There Any Signs Of Tampering With The Instrument Screws?
- Are There Any Signs Of Accident Damage On The Exterior Of The Car?
- Has The Car’s Colour Been Changed (check under carpets and other hidden areas_
- Are There Any Unusual Looking Welds Under The Bonnet Or Boot?
- Are All Of The Tyres In Good Condition?
- Is There A Spare Wheel Or Inflator Kit?
- Are The Jack And Tools Present?
- Do All The Seatbelts Work Ok?
- Check All Lights And Windscreen Washers/Wipers
- Check All Warning Lights
- Check Braking System (spongy/slack or pulling to one side)
- Any Unusual Noises?
- Does The Handbrake Hold Properly?
- Any Steering Vibration Or Pull?
- Check For Noises When The Engine Is Started From Cold
- Any Excessive Visible Exhaust Emissions?
- Is There Any Sludge On The Inside Of The Oil Filler Cap?
- Is The Oil Level Correct?
- Has The Cam Belt Been Changed In Accordance With The Manufacturers Guide?
Locks, windows and general controls
- Do All Of The Locks Work Properly? (Key Operated Or Remote)
- Do All Of The Windows Work Properly?
- Have You Got All Of The Keys?
- Are Locking Wheel Nuts Fitted And Is The Key Present?
- Are There Any Signs Of Forced Entry?
- Do All Of The Ancillary Controls Work Properly? (heating, air-con and radio)